Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Lesson

D'ye know, scarcely a day in court passes without my learning something, be it banal or significant.

As one born and bred in West London I am pretty familiar with the local language, but I had to do a bit of deduction the other day. A witness kept referring to the fact that the person he was with was about to 'do one' and after a few reiterations I had to ask. "Mr. Parkins" I said; "When you say that Mr. Harris was going to 'do one', do you mean 'do a runner?'.
He seemed surprised at the question, and replied "yes", then carried on with his evidence.

Ex Middlesex semper aliquid nov
i, as the Roman nearly said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts are pre-moderated. Please bear with us if this takes a little time, but the number of bores and obsessives was getting out of hand, as were the fake comments advertising rubbish.