Thursday, December 08, 2011

Jobseekers?

A new supermarket has just opened in my home town, and I decided to give it a try yesterday. Of course I had no idea where anything was to be found, so there was a deal of doubling back and criss crossing in my progress round the store. When I reached the checkout I was served by a pleasant and helpful lady with a non-local accent. Her name badge said 'Ludmilla' so I enquired what was her home town. "Moscow' she replied. She gave me my receipt, wished me a nice day, and hoped that I would come back to the store soon.
It isn't an original thought, but when I hear time after time in court that a defendant is seeking work, but there's nothing out there, it is tempting to wonder why a Muscovite can get a job, but a locally born person cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts are pre-moderated. Please bear with us if this takes a little time, but the number of bores and obsessives was getting out of hand, as were the fake comments advertising rubbish.